Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tangerine Tango Striped Vase

Inspired by Pantone's 2012 Color of the Year, I decided to add some juicy orange stripes to an unloved & unused vase I've had hanging around my home for many years. 

Old, boring vase.

 While I was in the craft store picking out neon paints for my DIY painted wooden spoons, I spotted the Martha Stewart line of craft paints. She has this glitter paint that I had not seen before, and before I knew it, I was walking out of the craft store with two more paints than I originally went in to buy. Oh no, so sad.

The Martha Stewart paint claimed that it could be used on a variety of surfaces!

Since my vase was glass, I cleaned its surface with alcohol, as per the instructions. 
I wish I could tell you that I also made myself a martini with said alcohol, but alas, it was about 11 o'clock in the morning when I undertook this project. Just a wee bit too early for martinis for me!

After the surface of the vase was sufficiently drunk, I used blue painters tape to tape off my stripes. 


I did three coats of regular shiny orange paint & one top coat of the awesome glitter orange paint. 
The directions for using this paint on glass noted that the piece needed to cure for 21 days, and then it would be top-rack dishwasher safe. Since I do not plan on washing my new vase in the dishwasher, I went ahead and bought some pretty pink flowers and used it the same day!


It turned out just like I imagined! The project was super easy, just a little time consuming since I let the paint dry for an hour between coats. 
I love how with just a little time & paint I was able to turn sometime that was destined for the recycle bin into something that I actually enjoy looking at now!



Happy crafting!




I've linked up with Tip Junkie & Chic on a Shoestring Decorating today!
Tip Junkie handmade projects


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

2 comments:

  1. Ooo good idea Beth. I've been saving wine bottles to do something pretty with, I'm going to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Saira! I'm sure wine bottles would look really cute all painted up. I would love to check them out when you are done!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!