Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Neon Painted Wooden Spoons!

I'm really digging the neon colors that are trending this season. Bright colors have the ability to instantly transform a space, adding warmth & excitement!
When I saw this tutorial from Little Bit Funky, I knew I wanted to try it out for myself!
Here is another example of wooden spoons painted in a much softer palette.
I went to my local craft store & picked up a couple bottles of neon craft paint & inexpensive foam brushes. I always keep primer & polycrylic on hand because I use both products quite often. 
The wooden spoons came straight out of my kitchen! 

Before!

I used blue painters tape to make a clean, straight line where I wanted the paint to stop.

I primed the ends of my spoons with primer.
I rested them on left-over wood pieces from this project. (They are the top pieces from the turquoise shelving unit. I cut them off to make the shelving unit fit our kitchen. I had been hanging onto these wood pieces for nearly a year! Earlier today I had actually thrown them in the trash(!) because I had not come up with a use for them. Low and behold, when I was looking around the house for something to rest my wet spoons on, I spotted these in the trash. They are perfect for resting drying spoons on!)

My neon paint. I ended up not using the neon green; instead I used some of the turquoise paint I used for the shelving unit in the kitchen.


After!
Check out how cute they look in my drinking glass jar. 

I think they turned out great! Very bright & cheery. I ended up doing one coat of primer, three coats of paint, and one coat of shiny sealer. 


I hope you have been inspired to brighten up your kitchen by making your own painted wooden spoons!
Craft on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!