Friday, March 9, 2012

Bottle Cap Mirror

It is no surprise, I love IKEA. Many items at IKEA have very simple & clean lines, just begging to be customized! IKEA has carried the MALMA mirror for years now. From the first time I saw it, I knew I had to use it to make something really neat. 

I work at a very fun restaurant. We carry over 200 different types of bottled beer, many of which have really interesting bottle caps. I knew that I could combine my love of beer, my access to many different types of bottle caps, & my love of IKEA to make an interesting mirror for my home.


I bought this plain, black mirror from IKEA


Used painters tape to mask off the mirror part


Primed the mirror with spray-on Zinsser primer. This primer is awesome, it sticks to everything. The finish on the mirror was smooth & shiny, so I knew I needed to use Zinsser in order to make my paint stick.


I used neon pink spray paint from Montana Gold to paint the mirror. This is the same paint I used for my Neon Kitchen Makeover. I just love bright colors. 


I used hot glue to adhere the bottle caps to the mirror. The dimensions of the mirror allowed for exactly nine caps to fit across & nine down. It was perfect!


Close-up!


I'm not finished yet! It is looking really cool so far thought, I wanted to show it to you. 
I love the contrast between the bright, neon paint & the bottle caps.


I hope you have been inspired to personalize a piece from IKEA for yourself!
As always, thanks for stopping by & reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!