Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Sewing Challenge - Sweatshirt Skirt

Good morning everyone!
Today's installment of my Summer Sewing Challenge is one of my favorites. Now, though this skirt was handmade by me, I did not make it this summer. This skirt was one of my very first DIY re-fashions. I believe I made it in either 2002 or 2003. Maybe 2001, who knows; it was a loooooong time ago! But it still remains one of my favorites! 

When I was younger I used to go to the thrift store around once or twice a week. On one of those thrifting adventures I found an XL Girl Scout sweatshirt. I was a life-long girl scout so I knew I had to take that sweatshirt home with me and make it into something awesome.

Since this re-fashion was so long ago, many of the exact steps elude me. Basically, I cut off the sleeves, the elastic bottom hem, and the elastic neck area. I took in the sides a bit, sewed a simple waist casing, and threaded through a neon green XXXL shoelace to use as a drawstring. Since sweatshirt material does not fray, I chose not to hem this gem.

Since the skirt *is* made from a sweatshirt, it may be a little warm for many of the hotter days of summer. However, on not-so-hot summer days, and especially those windy days in the spring time, this skirt is so cute!

I hope you have been inspired to create a sweatshirt skirt of your own for this summer!  



The Facts 
Fabric: Thrifted Girl Scout sweatshirt
Pattern: Self-Drafted (Hack away at the sweatshirt until it looks like a skirt!)
Year: 2012
Notions: Thread, neon green shoelace
Time to complete: ?? I'm sure not very long

First worn: 2002-ish
Wear again? Yes! I love this skirt

Total Cost: Probably about $1.00



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!