Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Sewing Challenge

I love to sew. I have been sewing since I was about six, first it was doll clothes, then people clothes that I would enter in my local County Fair. Now my sewing is mostly focused on my ETSY shop, where I sew up bags, purses, and pillows. 

Last year I discovered Mena Trott's inspirational blog, The Sew Weekly. The blog has many contributors who sew different garments week to week, always trying to keep within the "theme" Mena dictates. As the name of the blog suggests, I am a weekly regular reader of the blog, always looking forward to checking out the new & innovative garments the weekly contributors (and Mena, herself!) create. 
Years ago joined the hand-made movement, but only recently have I decided to take hand-made to the next level and apply that idea to my wardrobe. 

With my inspiration from The Sew Weekly, I've decided to embark on my own Summer Sewing Challenge. 

My Summer Sewing Challenge Rules::
~ I will not buy any more clothes from any store (Except for my work uniform clothes, if that need arises)
~ I will sew myself at least two new items of clothing every month
~ I will have fun! 

As you can see, my challenge is not over ambitious, in the hopes that I will be able to accomplish the challenge! So far, I have one formal dress, one maxi skirt, and one yellow shirt to add to my summer collection. I have plans for a green tank top and a multi-colored jersey dress. Ideally, I would like to add two sundresses to this year's wardrobe. Every Wednesday this summer I will detail my progress here on my blog, to keep me organized and to keep me accountable! 

I hope you will check out Mena's blog; it is full of talented people sharing their clothing creations!

Here is the rundown on my yellow shirt:

The Facts 
Fabric: Yellow cotton/rayon blend jersey from JoAnn's; quilting weight cotton fabric from Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms line
Pattern: Self-Drafted
Year: 2012
Notions: Thread, Left-over Navy binding
Time to complete: 4-5 hours. I think I took a break at one point
First worn: June 19, 2012, To dinner/drinks/trivia
Wear again? Yes!
Total Cost: About $5. I bought and used 1/2 a yard of the yellow jersey fabric. I was proud of myself, usually I over-buy, but this time I had about 1.5 square inches of fabric left over-an accomplishment! The Amy Butler fabric was from my stash, as was the thread, and the binding.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!