Tuesday, March 27, 2012

White Ceramic Chicken

This is a quick & easy DIY makeover that has a big impact. 
Every once in a while I make time to check out the local thrift stores. The last time I went I found this amazing ceramic chicken. I love chickens & this little one was pretty cute, but rather tired looking. I knew I had to take it home with me & make it pretty!

Before Chicken

After I got the chicken home I cleaned it with soap & hot water, then let it dry completely.

I took it outside with a drop cloth, and used spray primer & spray paint to make it pretty!
I used one coat of Zissner spray primer (because that stuff sticks to everything!) and two coats of Heirloom White spray paint.
I let the paint dry then sprayed it with a coat of polycrylic. The Heirloom White paint is a matte finish which is why I chose to finish the chicken with polycrylic; I wanted a shiny chicken. If my spray paint was a glossy finish I would not have bothered with the sealer coat. 

After Chicken!



Check out how nice the chicken looks now! 
I have not decided where it will stay, but for now it is hanging out on my newly updated IKEA bookshelf. (Blog post to come later!)

This was a quick & simple project that transformed a forlorn thrift store find into one of my favorite home decorations! I hope you will be inspired to transform one of your old statues into a new treasure!


I am linking up with Tip Junkie today!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!