Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hey! I'm Back!

So, sorry to all my lovely readers for the long blogging break I took without notice. A lot of things have been going on around the Hey Fish! Studio.

Firstly, one of my art pieces was featured in an art show over the past weekend. The School 33 Art Center here in Baltimore is one of the leading advocates for art in Baltimore's community. To help support their mission, every year they host a Benefit Art Show where local artists donate their art to the show. The art is then auctioned off & the proceeds go back to the art center. As as artist you have to put an application in & have your art chosen to be part of the event...and mine was! It even got sold by the end of the night. How about that. I was very happy & humbled that my art was able to help support School 33. 

My art is the one in the middle on the bottom...the Oriole bird print.

Since this was such a big event for me, I decided I needed to do something big to make this night truly special. So, I decided to make my own dress!
A daunting task, for sure, but I was up for the challenge! 

I took an old dress of mine as inspiration, drafted my own pattern (sleeves were all my own idea!), bought the fabric, & went to work!


The Facts 

Fabric: Cotton Poplin with 4% stretch, from the 'April Johnson for Project Runway' line from JoAnn's
Pattern: Self-Drafted
Year: 2012
Notions: White thread, Turquoise 12" zipper, Turquoise piping for the top of the bodice
Time to complete: About 6-7ish hours....basically two whole days of sewing.
First worn: April 21, 2012 - For the Lotta Art Benefit Show
Wear again? Yes!
Total Cost: I bought the fabric for 50% off, I had the piping & thread from my stash, so I only had to buy the zip. I would say the whole dress cost about $17 to make. Woot Woot!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I love reading them!